What is a PAC?
The School Act gives parents the right, through PACs, to assume an advisory role in every school. PAC is the officially recognized collective voice of parents of their school. A PAC, through its elected officers, may advise the school board, the principal and staff of the school respecting any matter relating to the school other than matters assigned to the School Planning Council.
PACs are forums within each school community to discuss matters affecting your school and the education of your children. Parents’ voices are a tremendous value to their school. They offer a wealth of ideas and support in the challenges that face all public schools. PACs strive to represent the diversity within their communities and contribute to the benefit of all students by:
- providing opportunities to educate and inform parents about the school;
- involving parents in volunteer activities; and
- openly discussing parents’ concerns and aspirations for their schools.
Who can become a member of the PAC?
All parents and guardians of students registered in the school are able to participate as a member of the PAC.
What is a PAC Meeting?
A PAC meeting is a great chance to learn about what’s going on at Van Horne and to add your voice to how we shape our community. Here’s some things you can expect at a PAC meeting:
- A welcoming environment where every voice is heard
- An update from the Principal on school goings ons
- A few laughs
- Opportunities to volunteer or feedback into PAC vision & planning
- Process PAC business (e.g. vote on motions, hold elections)
When are PAC meetings held?
PAC Meetings for the 2020/21 school year will be held at 6:30pm via Zoom.
Dates are as follows:
- Wednesday October 28
- Tuesday November 24
- Wednesday January 27
- Tuesday February 23
- Wednesday April 28
- Tuesday May 25
- Wednesday June 23
What is the plan for events this year?
Back to school potluck, Movie Nights, Family Dances, end of school BBQ / Carnival, Pancake breakfast, various parent education speakers.
Who do I contact to Volunteer?
Want to get involved? Great!
- You can fill out the VOLUNTEER FORM on the volunteer page to join the volunteer pool. We will email this list when there’s a demand for volunteers.
- You can email volunteer (at) vanhornepac (dot) com and/or chair (at) vanhornepac (dot) com if you have an idea you’d like to energize.