“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.”
Total Containers Collected
Funds Raised To Date
HOW IT WORKS
Collect unsorted, empty containers and place them in clear plastic bags. Then…
…Go to THE depot
- Go to any Return-It Express location.
- Log in their kiosk with account number 6047134965 (school phone number) and print the label(s).
- Put label(s) on your bags and leave them at the depot.
…Go to A parent hub
- Drop off your bags at a parent volunteer’s hub. For addresses, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
… drop-off at school on Monday mornings NEW!
- Bring your bags to school on Mondays between 8:40-9:00am.
- The drop-off location is West 43rd Avenue, about 100 feet from the ramp.
WHAT SHOULD I COLLECT?
Collect any refundable containers for which you paid a deposit (within Canada) and take them to your closest Return-It Express depot. If you can’t go to a Return-It depot, email email@example.com for the address of a volunteer parent hub in our neighbourhood.
Return-It will sort and count containers and deposit the refund money to our PAC account. We will use this money to support student government projects and other PAC initiatives.
You can collect the following:
- Juice boxes
- Glass bottles
- Plastic bottles
- Aluminum cans
- Plastic jugs
View the image below or see the full list here.
Note: Dairy, soy, coconut, almond, and oat milk containers aren’t part of the program. Put them in your household recycling.
To help spark participation, the PAC will provide starter kits to interested families. Each kit contains:
- 10 bags
- 10 pre-printed labels (so you don’t have to create labels at the depot)
- A flyer with instructions
To request a starter kit (or request more bags), please fill out this form.
- Clear white or blue plastic bags are acceptable at Return-It depots.
- Containers should be clean and empty with caps on.
- Straws should be pushed into drink boxes.
- Alcohol bottles and cans are welcome, too.
- To avoid breaking glass, mix containers in the bags. Put no more than 15 glass bottles in a single bag.
WHAT DO THE FUNDS GET USED FOR?
Funds raised support student government projects, the PAC’s recycling efforts at the school, and general PAC initiatives.
The goal is to make this a community habit. If even a small percentage of parents start returning recylables to Return-It, the impact would be enormous; plus, we’d be visibly modelling good recyclying habits for our children.